DIY or Hire a Pro?
Posted by Stephanie Salerno on Friday, May 13, 2022 at 12:52 PM By Stephanie Salerno / May 13, 2022 Comment
Whether you want to save money with a do-it-yourself approach or save time by hiring a profession, use this guide to help you decide!
When to Do it Yourself
- You're Willing to Research - Before you start, take the time to research the project. If you want to paint your cabinets, for example, watch tutorial videos, read about paint options, or ask a store associate for advice.
- The Project isn't Complex - Simple projects are the best ones to tackle yourself. If you understand the directions and are confident you can execute them, doing it yourself can save you a significant amount of money.
- You Have the Time - Consider the free time you have to complete the task. If you're busy with work and other obligations, you risk rushing through the project and making costly mistakes.
When to Hire a Pro
- There's a Risk of Serious Damage - Avoid DIY jobs that could cause serious damage to yourself or your home. Examples include a plumbing leak inside a wall that causes water damage or faulty electric work that overloads a circuit or causes a fire.
- You Don't Have the Necessary Tools - DIYers often get into projects and realize they forgot to budget for the cost of buying or renting tools to complete the task. A pro, on the other hand, already has quality tools to get the job done.
- Your Project Could Require a Permit - Some renovation jobs require a permit, so make sure to find out the local rules on what you can and cannot do.